Friday, April 13, 2018

San Antonio to Tucson


Well, the RV part arrived. I installed it in a matter of minutes and off we went. Unfortunately, this departure was later in the day and we had no delusions of making a great deal of mileage before our evening stop but we were eager to move it on down the road. Our GPS routed us out of the city and on to I-10 toward El Paso. This transit was of several hours duration and as we approached El Paso our GPS rerouted us off I-10 north onto I-25. 


Kathy was unhappy with this, as she studied the Atlas it was obvious that this was a detour which would take us a good way off our route. We were supposed to be traveling west, not north. According to the GPS, I-10 was closed. I hate when I must choose between Wanda (our nickname for our onboard navigation system) and Kathy. Either way I usually end up in trouble. Since I was already headed up route 25 North, out of the city, I elected to continue. It was scenic, and we eventually made it back to our previous route, but outside the affected area of El Paso and I-10, but we never discovered the reason for the detour.

Shortly thereafter we arrived in Lordsburg, New Mexico. By this time, it was time we were ready to stop for the night at the KOA campground. We set up camp, walked around for a bit, met and chatted with other guests before deciding that we were hungry. 

The Kranberry’s CafĂ© was within walking distance of the park, and upon the recommendation of some snowbirds with whom we had talked earlier, we headed that way. As it turned out it was a good choice. It was nothing fancy, but very tasty. Our server was a hoot with a sense of humor. She called me “blue eyes.” For desert Kathy and I split a piece of fresh strawberry pie. A bad choice for me as it drove my glucose reading through the roof, but it returned to normal in a reasonable time.

Our waitress provided us something else, other than our meal, a great travel tip. She suggested we take route 80 south from Lordsburg to see Bisbee and Tombstone, both in Arizona, which we did th next morning. Bisbee was quaint, and we browsed through the shops and lunched at the local coffee shop. 

Then, it was on to Tombstone which is a classic tourist trap. Perhaps some of the buildings are genuine, and some historical accounts accurate, but for the most part it was a convenient way to kill a few hours before heading on to Tucson.

Our home in Tucson is the Rincon West RV Park. It is huge with over 1100 sites. Our adjoining campsites are occupied by friendly folk and Rosie, Kathy’s lifetime girlfriend, was happy to see us. We visited until 10 pm but it seemed so much later. Perhaps this is because of the three-hour time difference between the East and here. My body was feeling midnight. At any rate, I was ready for my bed.



3 comments:

  1. https://www.webzworks.com/what-is-parad-and-its-benefits/

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://www.smore.com/8gv9d-the-unique-advantages-gantry-crane

    ReplyDelete
  3. https://viraldiggers.com/2020/06/23/how-to-use-a-chainsaw-safely/

    ReplyDelete