Monday, April 9, 2018

From Baton Rouge to San Antonio


Friday and Saturday drives were a bit rough. The weather front that passed through brought high winds and driving was a challenge. The buffeting and crosswinds required constant attention on my part making me wonder why I ever downsized from my Class A diesel pusher. At earliest opportunity I will seek a suspension upgrade to deal with this issue. I have learned through experience that investing in your equipment to make life easier on the road is a good thing to do.

By the time we reached Iowa, LA I had enough of driving in these conditions for the day so we stopped at a little park just off the interstate. The Cypress Bend RV Park was no luxury stop but it was clean and convenient. It was here that I really flubbed it (making a newby mistake) doing something I really should have known better than to do, being an “seasoned” RV’r. As I started to pump out my grey water I blew out my macerator drain hose. Yes, I forgot to uncap the hose at the sewer access drain. Stupid me! Now I am in San Antonio waiting for Amazon Prime to deliver a replacement hose.

We arrived here Saturday afternoon after another day of buffeting winds, off and on rain, and terrible traffic backups in I-10 where the interstate was closed, for some unknown reason, requiring all traffic to exit the highway onto local side roads. Traffic was not pretty. This has happened twice on this trip so far. In Baton Rouge on I-12 and San Antonio on I-10. Combined we lost several hours just putt-putting in stop and go, bumper to bumper traffic. Oh well, you take the bad with the good in any endeavor.

Sunday, we boarded the VIA bus from the San Antonio/Alamo KOA to downtown and River Walk. We enjoyed Tex-Mex lunch at The Republic of Texas and the walked the area exploring (the word for getting lost in a strange area). In our exploring we discovered the Briscoe Museum. This place was full of Western Art, sculpture and memorabilia including Santa Anna's sword.

Monday, finds us relaxing at the RV park waiting for my part for the repair. When it arrives, depending on the time of day, we’ll decide on whether to leave for Tucson today or wait until the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment